Burg Hohneck (Heimburg)
The Heimburg above Niederheimbach is also known as Burg Hohneck.
It is considered an example of the historicist reconstruction of a castle ruin, which was triggered by the Rhine Romanticism. Starting in 1295, the Archbishop of Mainz, Gerhard II von Eppstein (1230-1305), had the construction of Heimburg Castle begun at the confluence of the Heimbach and the Rhine. It was a reaction to the fact that in 1290 the Palatine counts had illegally appropriated the castles of Sooneck and Reichenstein. The roughly square castle still shows in its building stock a mighty shield wall facing the Rhine between two round towers. The southern one was extended to form a high keep. After destruction during the Thirty Years' War, the castle fell into ruin. The enthusiasm of noblemen and rich citizens for the charm of castle ruins on the Rhine led to many changes of ownership and the reconstruction of Heimburg in the 19th century. In the years 1866-68 the ruins were restored by order of the owner of the Rittergut, Baron Otto von Wackerbarth (1823-1904), incorporating the medieval substance. In the process, the two-story "Rhine Wing" was built over the medieval cellar in neo-Gothic architecture with battlements and corner towers. Later the castle came to Countess Charlotte von Mellin. From 1882, the wine merchant Eduard Rabeneck had the Rhine Wing extended and the neo-Gothic "Steward's House" with battlements and winter garden built in the garden. In 1898 the castle came to the industrialist Robert Müser (1849-1927), who acquired the mill and established a guesthouse there in 1910. In 1920 Nora Dunlop bought the castle for 1 million marks. The purchase was handled by her brother-in-law and cousin Hugo Stinnes, who was also the owner and general manager of the company "Hugo Stinnes GmbH". He was probably the most important German industrialist of his time. Many citizens of the village found work at the castle during the inflation period in construction maintenance work. The Heimburg served as a prestigious residence for the Stinnes family and their prominent guests for many years. The castle remained in family ownership until 1965. At present, the castle is not open to the public.